DASH stands for Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension.
It may be one of the routes your doctor suggests as a natural way to reduce high blood pressure.
Some diets are hard to follow and require an awful lot of effort and change whereas the DASH diet is really simple to follow.
(1) Reduce your intake of foods high in cholesterol, saturated fat and trans fat.
(2) Eat more fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy produce.
(3) Reduce your sodium intake and try and keep it to the recommended 2,400mg or 1 teaspoon salt/ day. Reduce your intake of sugary drinks and sweets and the amount of red meat you eat.
(4) Eat more fish, whole grain foods, nuts and poultry.
Studies have shown that by following this diet people have lowered their blood pressure in just two weeks.
The DASH diet advises daily servings from various food groups depending on how may calories you need per day. Start by keeping to the sodium target of 2,400mg or 1 teaspoon salt per day. Get into the habit of checking food lables for sodium content as well as limiting what you add to your food for seasoning. When you get into the habit of doing this and you body gets used to it then reduce it further to 1,500mg (2/3 teaspoon) per day instead.
Other tips that can help you with this diet include:
• Replacing your salty and sugary snacks with healthier options such as raw vegetables, nuts, dried fruit – apricots or raisins, although do check they don’t contain added sugar.
• Add an extra serving of fruit and vegetables at lunch and dinner, aim to get your 5 a day.
• Instead of making a grab for the salt to flavour your food get creative with herbs and spices.
• Low fat dairy options in replace of your full fat.
• Try and halve the amount of butter or margarine you use and choose low fat condiments and salad dressings.
• CHECK FOOD LABELS BEFORE YOU ADD IT TO YOUR SHOPPING BASKET if you don’t know what is in your food how do you know its any good for you? Apps like FoodSwitch TM which is free to download can suggest lower fat or lower sodium alternatives to help you make informed choices about the food you buy.
Starting with our exercise program ‘’ How To Drop High Blood Pressure Below 120/80 In 9 Minutes –
Get link HERE